Sublime New Melon To Try in your garden

I was given a sampling of a most delicious melon by my dear friend Brijette Romstedt Pena of San Diego Seed Company- a Kajari melon. A Kajari is an aromatic, refreshing, very sweet melon which comes to us originally from India, technically in the cucumber family. The closest fruit I've seen to these were Raja melons I grew a few years back from seed brought back from melons obtained in India. These Kajari don't ship well and split easily so they'll never cut it as a melon for the grocery store, but straight from your garden or a Farmer's market these are amazing.
The flavor is complex- reminiscent of Honeydew, cantaloupe, and a hint of cumber. The plants are vigorous but diminutive, foliage was totally free of powdery mildew, and dark green with lovely small yellow flowers. The fragrance from a single 1 1/2 pound melon is filling my kitchen with its perfume this morning. I'm saving it for dessert one night this week.
I hear these melons are going to be featured at an upcoming Farm to Fork event. You can obtain seed for the upcoming season from San Diego Seed Company.


Comments

Popular Posts