Advice Worth Hundreds Of Dollars For FREE!

I am a frugal sort. I always have been. Maybe it's those Scottish genes. I started working early; and started little businesses when I was young and saved my money. I love a good value. Today's blog entry is a gift to you, a couple of resources at your ready disposal that may become a part of your daily life.

I am fairly new to Facebook. I have been doing the Facebook thing now since March of 2015. I had a very brief flirtation with the Facebook world years ago, but disliked it because of too much drama I saw, wasted time (anybody want to trade a cow in Farmville?), and the seeming interminable stream of selfies and huge egos. Did I really want a minute by minute detail of people's lives? I don't really want to see a photo of every plate of food you ate today, or see a chart of your minute by minute workout, or how many steps you took today, or a report of your really good bowel movements even if I really like you. And what the heck is it with people posting selfies taken in bathrooms? I really, really don't want to see your vanity reflected in a bathroom mirror. I have coined a term for a type of photo that I do like, the "ussie". I love people, and I am particularly fond of my friends. I like to commemorate our friendship and life's events with a group pic or an "ussie". Maybe I'm deluded, but I do see the ussie and the selfie as categorically different. Come here, let's have a photo.



I have discovered there can be a balance. Ralph Waldo Emerson said "Moderation in all things". So, I have discovered a balance regarding Facebook. There are some things about it I detest. Oh, but there are some things that have become a part of my daily life. In fact, some of the highlights of my day are some of the posts from friends and a couple of really great Facebook groups.

I am guessing that you are reading this little blog because you like gardening or agriculture. I am glad you are here! It just so happens, those are a couple of my favorite things too. I want to commend to you a few Facebook groups that I find very edifying and down right enjoyable.

The first is San Diego Backyard Fruit Exchange. This group is managed by Knikki Royster and Mellissa Catan-Paz. This group has a little advice exchange and Q and A going on, but the most vigorous aspect of this group is the online barter system which takes place. Have a big box of lemons, but need eggs or goat's milk? No problem! Put up a post and someone will make a trade with you. There are also events in different parts of the county where people meet to exchange produce and even food products they have prepared.

Recently, I saw a post that a government official was trying to shut down one of the exchanges because people were exchanging food products. What the heck? Barter is the oldest form of economy. I am a libertarian sort, and frankly having a government official show up to shut down private citizens exercising their own freedoms really frosts my crank. I remember a great line from Ronald Reagan, he said the scariest words anyone could hear are "I am from the government, and I am here to help." C.S. Lewis had this sort of governmental good in mind when he said this:



“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

Pardon my slight swerve off the rails to political thought...back to gardening. The exchanges are now deemed potlucks, with people sharing food items. Next thing you know the government will shut down potlucks, and Kafeeklatches too. 

The second group I commend to you is San Diego Backyard Growers. This group is led and managed by my very able friend Scott Medina Brzezinski. Scott owns his own business assisting folks with gardens, and also is the farmer at the Red Door Farm along with owner Trish Watlington. The produce from Red Door Farm is used at the Red Door Restaurant. I love their food! 

Each Facebook group has its own personality. The backyard growers are general gardeners but, definitely emphasize the edible over the ornamental. People ask a lot of questions, and people dispense a lot of answers. There is an occasional bit of erroneous advice, but for the most part, the information is reliable and helpful. There is an occasional thread about the benefits of Epsom salts (don't put them in your garden...put the box down...step away from the box) or other squirrely advice. But, all in all, nice people helping each other out.

I save the best for last. Oh, best is such a relative term. I know this is very subjective, but it is the best. Drum roll please. I highly commend to you the group San Diego Gardener. This group was started by local gardening celebrity Nan Sterman. Nan leads the group with an able and gentle hand.



I have been a fan of Nan's for years. I have always read her articles in the local newspaper and many periodicals. She is also the host and creator of a marvelous television program called A Growing Passion. http://agrowingpassion.com/  I don't watch television, I don't even own one. Due to my omission of the telly from my life I didn't even know about Nan's program. I discovered I could watch it online. Some people binge watch Game of Thrones, I binge watch A Growing Passion. It's great.

San Diego Gardener has the greatest congregation of gardeners, certified arborists, landscape designers, nursery owners, farmers, and green industry professionals I have ever seen. These folks charge $50.00 an hour and much higher for their time and expertise. This is one impressive group. If you have been involved in any capacity in the world of horticulture or agriculture in San Diego, you would recognize the names in this very knowledgeable and very sharing group. 

This impressive assembly of A list hort folks are also extremely helpful and kind. You could pay Nan Sterman to come consult at your garden, and it would be money well spent. But if you are a member of San Diego Gardener, post a question and a photo and Nan will give you advice for free! A number of other experts will give you a hand too. I love this group! I am no new kid on the block when it comes to gardens and farms, but  I dare say I learn something new every week. 

Check out these groups, and get the best gardening value available on Facebook.


Comments

Popular Posts