Watering...The Positive And The Negative (charges, that is)

Watering our farms and gardens is certainly a hot topic these days. Lack of water has certainly "changed the landscape" for many of us in a literal sense. Lawns are disappearing, yards are changing, and much of that change is for the better.



I have to tell you though...should I even say this? Shhh....come closer...just between the two of us, or just between me and a few hundred of you...I love to water. Don't tell anyone, alright? After a hard day's work, I loved going out to the front with a nice glass or wine and water my lawn the old school way, with a fan spray nozzle. Yes, I had sprinklers...didn't matter. It was pure zen for me. I would relax, chat with passing neighbors, and revel in my perfect green carpet. And let me tell you, as owner of one of the best landscape companies in town...man, can I grow a lawn. Perfect. Green. Lush. Absolutely perfectly straight mowing lines. Is it alright in these very opinionated and emotionally charged times on virtually any and every subject to say it? I loved my lawn. I miss my lawn.


Well, I no longer have a lawn. Lawns require high inputs of water, fertilizer, chemicals and labor. But you know...I still like to water. Watering is still the single most important thing you do for your garden and your plants. I think I will do a whole series on watering in the future, but for today I want to just pass on a great tip on a tool to use in your watering.

The tool? A Dramm watering wand. Do your tools matter? Absolutley. When I was in the orchid business I was familiar with Dramm products. They make a micro mister called a "Fogg-it"that is the best I have ever used, and the "syphon-ject" tool that enables fertilizing with a water soluble food while one waters. Again, the best tool of its type on the market.






The most recent addition to my Dramm tool repertoire came from the days I was helping my dear friend Mia McCarville on occasions at Cedros Gardens. Ahhhh...Cedros Gardens, oh how I miss you! What a joy to work with Mia, and many other talented plants-men and plants-women. When one is in that kind of rich environment, one learns a great deal, even when you come in with a great deal of knowledge.


Here are a couple of things I learned from Mia, and I now pass them on to you. Buy and use the very best hose you can get. Trust me, there is a world of difference in the best and the cheapest hose. Will you pay a lot for a great hose? Indeed you will. But here is a rule of any craft, "you are as good as your tools." Experience is your best teacher, and when you own a business that waters hundreds and thousands of plants every day, you think about a hose differently. You need a hose that won't kink- ever. You want a hose with little "memory" meaning it won't re-coil on you; it should straighten out, and stay straight.



The other tool for watering? A Dramm water wand with a Model 400 water breaker spray head. Once you try one of these, I guarantee you will never go back to any other watering tool. The Dramm 400 measures out the perfect flow of water. It will never disturb loose soil, nor disturb delicate potting mix in containers. It allows the gentlest application of water to your plants, even when the hose is on full force. Watering with the Dramm 400 is as gentle as a mother kissing a newborn baby. And after all, aren't our plants our babies? Alright, for some of us anyway.

It comes with an adjustable valve to increase and decrease flow. There are different grades of the wand depending on the quality of the shut off you choose. The cheaper model works fine for me. Another added benefit to the Dramm 400 that Mia taught me is the way the 400 aerates the water as it processes through the spray head. This is of tremendous benefit to your plants.

Many people over-water, and that leads to rotten soil and anaerobic bacteria causing rot in your little plant's world. When the water is oxygenated as it emerges from the nozzle, it actually changes the ionic charge of the water, the same way a waterfall or breaking waves does. This is so good for your plants. If you are in the vicinity of all those delicious little ions, I bet it will put a smile on your face too. We'll address the science of all that another time. So many topics, so little time. Pray I live to be a hundred, or we'll never get the chance to chat about all these grand gardening concepts.

Oh, and here is the best part. I needed a replacement Dramm water wand, and picked one up at Walter Andersen's...the basic model for $17.00. I confess I am a frugal sort, actually extremely frugal, and I love a good bargain. I am always checking the sale racks, and end caps when I shop. Dixieline is one of my favorite haunts for bargains. Why did I just tell you that? Oh well, it must be my love of my garden readers. Anyhow, I picked up a gorgeous Dramm water wand at the Kearny Mesa Dixieline in a glorious bright purple, I LOVE IT. It will never be lost. Normal price? $20.00. Sale Price? $4.97. At that price, I bought two. But take heart, there is one more! At least there was.

Comments

Popular Posts