Too Hot To Garden! Let's Eat

A little bit ago I diverted from the usual garden and ag chat for a little talk about food. The garden, farm, and kitchen are really mutually edifying. Where would a chef be without fresh, high quality ingredients? And what gardener can reasonably expect to go out and work by the sweat of their brow to the point of bodily exhaustion without high quality fuel for that bodily machine?

I did a post on those indescribably good 'Principe de Borghese' tomatoes that make the very best sun dried tomatoes...I get hungry just thinking about those! I will have to get by with the jarred Trader Joe's version for this recipe.

When I was with chef Jack Monaco about a month ago for his cooking and tasting demo at Catalina Offshore Products, I was introduced to a new product, and a new friend. My 'circle' grows day by day, filled with new friends, products, and places that other friends recommend. John Stacy is a great guy with a positive attitude and an indomitable entrepreneurial outlook. A realtor in Chula Vista by day, a gourmet cook and food collaborator by night. If chef Jack Monaco recommends anything I am all ears. I have an ongoing list of places he gives the 'thumbs up'.



A product John Stacy created was included in one of Jack's dishes. The product is 'Red Gold'. John calls it 'spicylicious'. I call it yummy! I love to boost good people, good places, and good products. Red Gold is one I heartily endorse. It reminds me of sriracha paste, but it is far more complex and full flavored, full of wonderful spices. I add a little to a variety of things. It gives just enough heat without making you hit the fire alarm.

This is chef Jack's recipe for 'Red Gold Sun Dried Tomato Butter'. These days I am cooking for one, or for me and my parents. A big change, after cooking for a large family for so many years. Trim the amounts to fit your needs. Chef Jack topped a piece of thresher shark with a dollop of this delicious compound butter. This is sooooooo tasty.

2 lbs butter
1 1/2 cups sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained
kosher salt to taste
1 tbs minced roasted garlic
1 c John's Red Gold, or to taste
2 tbs fresh minced basil

1) Combine all ingredients in bowl of food processor. Whip together to form a very smooth and creamy texture. It is fine to leave some chunks for color and texture.

2) Transfer to a storage container to cool, label, date, refrigerate until ready to use.

Mmmmmm. It is way to hot to cook inside. Go to Catalina Offshore for a nice piece of fish. Grill up some veggies, and top off the whole thing with a little culinary magic brought to you by Jack Monaco, John Stacy, and your garden blogging messenger




Comments

Popular Posts