Hot Deals And Home Depot Adventures

It seems I am always on the go. My little red Prius (thank goodness for the great mileage) or my red truck seem to know every corner of the county and beyond. What with consultations, various jobs, and plant and material searches...I really get around.
 I was working on some job proposals and estimates out east on Saturday and worked in a side trip to the Lemon Grove Home Depot. I confess when it comes to plants, Home Depot isn't usually on the top of my list. However, if I am going to make a Home Depot stop in search of plants, the Lemon Grove location is at the top of my list.
 The main reason is the personnel. The Lemon Grove location is managed by my buddy and fellow colleague in Rare Fruit Growers, and Professional Tree Care Association, Tom Del Hotal. Not all Home Depot garden centers are created equal! I have overheard one heck of a lot of erroneous advice at Home Depot's and various garden centers, some of the advice is downright cringe-worthy.
 When I arrived Tom was educating some plant shoppers on citrus. To hear him offer such reliable knowledge and years of experience was heartwarming. Tom is a plant expert, a true fruit tree "guru," and a certified arborist. That is a list of talents not often encountered in garden centers, especially at a big box store.

The big box stores order a lot of things from "central" through buyers that aren't always aware of our climate zones, or the plants that do well here. There is some latitude given to the managers of the individual garden centers. Tom is able to bring in some pretty cool things not normally found in most Lowe's or Home Depot's.

When I was there Saturday, Tom showed me some of the interesting citrus he had brought in, among them: Yuzu, Kaffir lime, Indian lime, Kishu mandarin, and Buddha's hand.

One of the best deals around are the 15 gallon plums for $29.99! There were Beauty and Santa Rosa, and they were really nice size and well grown.



There were some really nice 5 gallon Hesperaloe for $10.00! That is way below wholesale.



They have some very nice sized 5 gallon shade trees for $12.88!

I confess I am a little ambivalent about telling you about Home Depot specials. I really, really love the mom and pop nurseries. I do everything I can for them, and I appreciate them greatly. I also care a great deal for my clients and my readers, and I love to pass on the news of great deals whenever I can, whenever I find them. So...I pass on these great finds to you. Avail yourself of them, if you need what is offered. If you need some excellent and well informed plant and tree knowledge, see Tom. You can't beat the price of free knowledge and advice.

Comments

Popular Posts